Lander, Wyoming
5.0

Quincy Storage and Transfer (Allied Van Lines) grossly underestimated the cost of our move to Wyoming. They came to my house in Missouri to do an inventory of what was to be moved.

They estimated the weight at 9600 lbs. and the estimated price was $8807.80. When they delivered I paid them an additional 10%, ($9688.58) Now they want an additional $2756.66 because they said the weight was actually 14,080 lbs.

I've even offered to meet them half way and pay them an additional $1378.33, but they only want payment in full. I believe that I should not be financially punished for their gross error in estimation.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

I didn't like: Grossly underetimated cost of the move.

Comments

Quincy_Storage1
Quincy, Illinois, United States #1150851
Mr. ****** shipment was estimated at 9,600 pounds.

When performing a physical survey, I identified 275 items on the inventory sheet. Inventory at the time of loading showed we loaded 421 items. Our inventory sheets have space for 30 items. we figure 1,000 pounds per page.

275 items translates into 9.16 pages, or roughly 9,160 pounds. 421 items translates into 14.03 pages, or roughly 14,030 pounds. This is a large discrepancy.The final weight was 14,080 pounds. The shipment was weighed on a certified scale.

Mr. ****** was provided, and signed for, "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move" and "Ready to Move" booklets. Van lines are legally obligated to provide these booklets to the consumer to inform them of the moving process, as well as ways to protect them as a consumer. These booklets explain binding vs.

non-binding estimates, valuation, dispute resolution and valuation. Also, the "Ready to Move" booklet informs the consumer to: "obtain estimates from at least 3 movers". I operate under the assumption that consumers are indeed obtaining three estimates. This is to ensure the consumer has not only a competitive price, but to also ensure rates and weights are congruent.

Mr. ****** obtained only one estimate, which was provided by Quincy Storage & Transfer. Mr. ****** was provided a non-binding estimate, which he signed for.

The Non-binding Estimates section of the "Your Rights and Responsibilities" reads: "Under a non-binding estimate, the mover cannot require you to pay more than 110% of the original estimate at the time of delivery. This does not excuse you from paying all of the charges due on your shipment. The mover will bill you for any remaining charges after 30 days from delivery." We delivered the shipment upon receiving 110% ($9,688.58) of the non-binding estimate ($8,807.80). We then billed for the remainder to be due after 30 days from delivery.

Some of this cost came from adding some packing prior to, as well as the day of load ($293.19). Full value protection increased with weight, from an estimated $589 to $839. There was a shuttle at origin. The weight increase caused the shuttle charge to increase from an estimated $1,029.92 to $1,287.81.

Line haul also increased from an estimated $7,188.88 to $9,487.39. Quincy Storage & Transfer owes Allied for services rendered. I have emailed back and forth with Mr. ****** in regards to this situation.

Mr. ****** offered to pay half of his remaining balance ($1,378.33). Again, Quincy Storage & Transfer owes Allied for the remainder ($2,756.66). My boss is willing to work out a payment plan to satisfy the remaining balance.

Mr. ****** will not be charged an additional 2% per month after 30 days. However, per our signed paperwork (estimate acknowledgement, order for service and the bill of lading), we do expect to be paid for services rendered.

Best Regards, Quincy Storage & Transfer Co. Agent for Allied Van Lines